Monday, April 23, 2007

candy bars, the wellness food

Alas, the party is over. Google's test run of a new basic search page tripled my "unique visitors" for nearly a month, slowly increasing the daily average of "returning vistors," the one statistic that really matters to me. Interesting to me how visitors were getting here. A single post about a stupid game show accounted for much of the upward leap, but Google was doing better at finding images here & at my other websites that link to this one, including a Jersey postcard collection. Google ended the trial, with a resulting steep fall off. Hoping for a net gain.
***
Hershey's is promoting candy bars as "wellness" food. A counter display next to the register at 7-11 - prime real estate - features three new bars plus a tear off info sheet. The only difference between these Hershey bars & standard Hershey bars is that they have a higher proportion of higher quality chocolate. So remember, an "all natural extra dark" Hershey Bar is as good as a cup of blueberries (a rather large serving), & much better than red wine & green tea.
***
Yesterday was a rare Sunday I wasn't pestered at an Elizabeth train station ticket machine by someone wanting to "help" me. These cleanly-dressed do-ya-a-favor-for-change panhandlers position themselves next to the ticket machines & put pressure on your personal space. Usually, I cut it pretty close to train time, & especially if I'm using a debit card I'm in no mood to have them looking over my shoulder, & I can be pretty abrupt, like, "BACK OFF." & they're shocked at my rudeness. But it's a game, they know their presence unnerves & rushes some people enough to get confused about what should be a clear series of prompts & steps. They also cause lines at the machines when the ticket office is closed, forcing some passengers to choose between missing the train or paying a $5 surcharge on board. I have a card that waives the fee, but I've advised people stuck without tickets to tell the conductor about the panhandler. If Elizabeth wants the train station to anchor more redevelopment, the city needs to keep it cleaner & send some cops up there on regular patrol, like Rahway does. Elizabeth has more elevator pissers than Rahway.

I'm more likely to give change to someone asking for it outside a liquor store, because they're honest alcoholics.

Labels: ,


Comments:
Spare some change? (From an Honest Drunk)
 
And, speaking of chocolate, check out this site. They are seriously trying to mess with our chocolate.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?