Monday, March 19, 2007

WFMU hits goal

Hanging out in the WFMU kitchen yesterday afternoon. I appreciated Irwin Chusid asking me if I was doing any journalism. There are many excellent writers at the station, & people with editorial experience. Irwin's one of the few who recalls I used to publish a lot of stuff, prose & poems, mostly locally & in alternative magazines. Sadly, I said no. Although this blog pretty much covers the same journalistic ground in a one-stop location. Despite the low daily traffic, I probably have just many regular readers over the course of a week as I ever had in poetry literary 'zines & weekly newspapers. It wasn't that long ago, the 90s, when I thought I had particular identity as a writer & something of a vision to go with it. but I wasn't radically unconventional. I was actually out on the fringe because I liked my idiosyncrasies; I was a suburban oddball with some New Yawk creative sensibilities, not an experimentalist like many of the artists & writers I admired. It puzzles me why I wasn't more appreciated.

Anyway, the WFMU marathon was fabulous success. Michael Moore called & made a hefty pledge during Glen Jones' program, & for his trouble got to speak with X Ray Burns, whose opinions tend toward the right side. X Ray did note that both he & Moore are members of the N.R.A. Jones smashed the single free form show money record, winning a contract to have his radio shows aired for a full year after he is deceased, a good deal. The Hoof & Mouth Orchestra Finale gets wilder every year. I watched it on webcam. The staff video performances will be posted on the WFMU blog over the next or so, at which point I'll recommend a few. Also pay up on my pledge tab, which I forgot to do last year. Next year is the WFMU 50th Anniversary.

Labels:


Comments:
It's been said to me that you are famous. But that's not the same as satisfied, is it?
 
Corgi, if I didn't say it, I can't imagine who would, but I'm pleased someone did. The highest praise I ever received was from the poet who runs The Museum of American Poetics, who said I have one of the best unpublished Selected Poems in America. Hyperbole, but it would be an amusing 80 pages, even better if it included some short prose pieces.
 
An excellent marathon change from East Orange is that now phone #1 always has a volunteer except maybe during the wee hours. With the usual dim lighting in the phone room - a WFMU tradition it seems (why is that? haha), you can walk out of there hours later with terrible eyestrain. I've been present when a few "celebrity" pledges have arrived, but never handled one meeself. & there's few outright crank calls compared to the 1990s when the station was basically running record & CD lotteries for minimum pledges. "Yo dude, how many cards in the drawing for the Minutemen album?"
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?