Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The art of digression

Quote of the day:
"I went to my trailer for about 15 minutes and I thought, there's people dying every day. A lot of worse things are happening in the world."
Movie producer Daniel Sadek, on learning his $1.5m Ferrari Enzo had been wrecked by comedian Eddie Griffin.
I did a representive radio show on Sunday evening. Actually played three recordings that were "new" (as opposed to reissues). Casual listeners often believe I know a lot about the music I air. But I've never been a "deep catalogue" DJ who mines obscure recordings & learns everything I can about an artist or music genre. I don't think I give that impression as I mispronounce names & fumble for information from liner notes. I do "research" after the show, when I neaten up the online playlist. Often enough I have almost no idea what I'm playing, just that I liked it when I auditioned it in part before the show, & as the recording airs I'm scanning the tiny CD print so I can give some information. I'm completely aware of my ignorance, which is what I gained from a broad, liberal education lacking any real specialty (barely a major in "Literature" & transcript padded with music, art & writing). Occasionally, I do know something, & then I have to resist blabbing it all out, digressing as I go. Almost happened Sunday, when an old scratchy record reminded me how it probably got nicked up, 20 years & 4 apartments ago, on a particular record player tucked away in a corner so that I'd hit my elbow on my girlfriend's big metal drawing table & drop the tone arm on the record, gouging a groove, or more if it bounced. If I'd followed that line of thought I'd have been talking for 15 minutes & probably said something I'd regret. Which wasn't a problem before all WFMU shows were archived & the broadcast signal was as evanescent as a Navajo sand painting in a duststorm. I could be fearless in those days, dancing at the edge of libel. I told such insane true stories about working conditions at Pearl Arts store in the 90s (describing everything & everyone except the store's name) that a few listeners tracked me down there to visit & chat.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?