Monday, March 12, 2007

Court Gamelan from The Pura Paku Alaman

I recall buying the album, Java Court Gamelan, late one evening at the downtown Tower Record Store in 1980s. I still have it, with original plastic shrink wrap sliced open at one end. I'd already heard the music so I knew what I getting. I first heard the LP in the 70s when I was struggling with the question of what constituted "music," peering into an abyss where where everything I'd assumed about art appeared to come to an abrupt & irresolvable end.

The instruments of the Court Gamelan from The Pura Paku Alaman in Jogyakarta, Java were constructed in 1755, & several of them I think are considered so sacred they aren't even played anymore. The music has been compared to a flowing river, but to me it was more that of sounds carried about by the wind, from one direction then another, close then distant. After hearing this music, I never listened to wind chimes or birds (singing in the outdoor pavilion) in quite the same way. Sounds are not like music; we either perceive them as music or we do not. There are also grandfather clocks from a royal household collection chiming during this song, but I've never been able to hear them. Only 1/2 of the full gamelan is being played. No need to give it your full attention. Just let it blow around in the background.

Gending: Mandulpati/Ladrang Agun-Agun (RealAudio)

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?