Friday, March 02, 2007

couch versus futon

Woke up this morning feeling I had hardly slept. Realized I'd fallen asleep while reading, lights were on including a lamp shining in my face, I was on my back (I sleep on my side) with just a light blanket over my legs, wearing socks & flannel shirt. All night long my unconscious was probably trying to wake me up to do the rituals & make it official rather than long nap.

For about three years I lived in an apartment with a very large comfortable sofa. The landlady had moved upstairs to a larger space, her couch was too big to make the trip, & I didn't have my own, so I was pleased it came with the place. I probably slept on that couch more than in my bed. My girlfriend & I preferred it for sex, an intimate & sensuous piece of furniture, although it certainly challenged us if we fell asleep afterward, since I'm a restless blanket-stealer. By contrast, my futon is more suitable for a monk's cell or a Klingon Bird-of-Prey, & it didn't become comfortable until a friend sent me a featherbed as a thoughtful Christmas present. In the winter, I sleep with the futon in the upright couch position. I open it up in the summer. The futon has experienced a small amount of sexual activity, but involving a woman who enjoyed a lifestyle even I considered too austere.

Labels: ,


Comments:
I'd agree with that if I didn't believe in the Firesign Theater theory that the United States lost WWII.
 
Ah, the Firesign Theater ... Waiting for the Electrician, or Someone Like Him! (Hope that's right, it's off the top of my head).
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?