Friday, February 23, 2007

windchimes

I feel like I just unraveled the Gordian Knot. I had a hopelessly entangled set of windchimes sitting in a box that I'd tried before to fix & gave up. I found it, or it found me, & looking it over a few minutes ago, sort of meditating, I realized it was two sets; one a gongy metallic moon & sun piece that's more decorative, & the other a simple, beautiful light-toned set of chimes a piano student gave me for Christmas many years ago (probably his mom's pick) that delighted me, it was a perfect gift, & which I'd thought had been lost. It wasn't so complex a matter after all, once I'd laid them out on the bed, loosened what had looked like knots, & gently unthreaded one from the other. I have to find a place for the heavier, sturdy dust collector, but the other set began singing joyously as soon as I lifted it free, a voice stilled for three years, & hung it from a curtain rod over the window, where it will ring whenever I raise or lower the blind or just reach up & tap them.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?