Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The diaries

When I got rid of my bed in 2002, replacing it with a futon, I found under the bed, dead center, a box left there by lover who went away in 1996. There were other boxes under the bed, books & such that I'd pulled out occasionally looking for something, or pushed around with the vacuum on the rare occasions I stuck the nozzle under there. Somehow I'd always overlooked the other box. It contained a few sketchbooks, some art supplies, a couple of inexpensive collections of artist drawings that she'd played with as coloring books - the Paul Klee was interestingly colored, Most importantly, it held several diaries dating back to high school. I flipped through the diaries, not much of interest in there to me, a few sexual encounters she didn't describe in detail; parties, college ruminations, I stopped reading before they reached my era of her life, if they went that far. I thought they should have been of interest to Megan. But in six years, she had not missed this stuff, or if she had she didn't care enough to call & ask if I had it. I tucked in the flaps of the box, brought it outside & placed it in the curbside trash. I told someone about it at the time, & she said I should have made an effort to return the box's contents. I disagreed. Megan knew where I lived. She had married & dropped out of sight. I knew she was in Jersey City somewhere but I didn't know her name, & I certainly wasn't contacting her family. It was personal history she didn't want, & I had become a nobody in that history.

Labels: ,


Comments:
Following my separation, I was left with a houseful of like items. Some were eventually reclaimed. Some were lost, discarded before being reclaimed. Some were simply discarded. Most were items that I didn't care to invest additional time or emotion on. All were painful in their own way. Like your box, getting rid of them cleared the way toward collecting new and better memories.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?