Monday, January 22, 2007

Odd thread over at Kos about Titles. Began over the suggestion occasionally put forward that Hillary should be referred to as "Senator Clinton." Kos points out that Hillary encourages the use of her first name, despite the right wing villifiying her by that name. But then Kos goes on to to say that he expects to be able to call politicians by their first names & judges them unkindly if he cannot, & even disparages the use of "Mr." (& Ms. & Mrs. I suppose). Some politicians are first name types, they run their campaigns on that kind of informality & shouldn't be surprised then if people dispense with the titles or last names. Unpopular politicians are stuck with worse; just a last name at best. There's nothing wrong with showing a little respect. My parents taught their kids never to greet an older person by first name unless invited to do so, & they themselves rarely granted the privilege unless the younger person was deemed both fully adult & familiar enough. If dad offered you a beer, then you were good to go with "Joe." He never would have handed one to Kos. My dad enjoyed being called "Councilman" when he sat on that town body, he earned it. In all the years I lived in Rahway, I always greeted the mayor as "Mayor" even when everyone else was saying "Jim" or "Jimmy," even on couple of occasions while chatting with him in a bar, & even though he's a few years younger than me. The only time I was ever tempted to call him Jim was on a hot afternoon when he was in front of his house desultorily clipping the hedges, probably pushed outside by his wife - the only time I ever saw him out there - & really looked like he was hoping someone would stop & talk, & I would have except that I was coming back from the store with milk & a small container of ice cream in my backpack. So I just said "Hi Mayor" kept walking.

Comments:
It's harder now than when we were kids to handle the familiarity issue with names, on a personal level.

Most of my kids' friends call me by my first name, because that's what their parents call me. Same with my kids about most of the neigbors, too. I prefer the "Miss or Mister Firstname" method, Southern style, because it keeps a respect title but is more familiar. At school it's Mrs. Lastname for the teachers, so if I'm there the kids call me Mrs. MyKidsLastname.

We have a friend who's a doctor, used to be in the same practice as our pediatrician was. Once on an emergency he had to see our oldest who was very young at the time. I explained that at home he was a friend and we called him "Name" but here in his office, he had a position of respect and education, so we call him "Dr. Surname". It made perfect sense.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?