Sunday, January 07, 2007

Leave the gun. Save the cannolis.

Had the peculiar sensory experience on Friday of smelling barbecue briquette smoke while looking at outdoor Christmas lights.
During a brief lull at the swearing-in of Sen. Robert Menendez, Vice President Dick Cheney leaned in toward the Democrat and made reference to his campaign against state Sen. Tom Kean Jr.

"We thought we had a shot at you up in New Jersey," Cheney said, as related by Menendez spokesman Matt Miller.

"You came at me hard, but I'm sorry to disappoint you," answered Menendez.
Steve at The Opinion Mill notes the lameness of the Menendez riposte & asks for suggestions. After mulling over several possibilities from The Godfather, I thought the best would be the zen-like:
"Leave the gun. Save the cannolis."

Snapshots of last night's WFMU Holiday party are here. The current generation of WFMU kids has reached the age where they not only still play tag, but stay late & take over the disco room, too. That's fine by me, I enjoy kids. In past years, when they were smaller, you risked serious injury if you tried negotiating the stairwells while not even legally inebriated, as they tended to withdraw from adult company & get literally underfoot. I appropriated a nearly-full bottle of champagne early on for my personal use (deciding against the Grand Marnier or Southern Comfort), & when that ran out, Chris T showed up in a celebratory mood with a bottle of his own. The journey home was tricky, had to stay away from the edge of the train platforms as I assumed Wesley Autrey wouldn't be around to save me if I tottered over. By the time I reached Elizabeth I could walk in a straight line with a bit of concentration.

Comments:
Ooooo- I did the champagne thing on New Year's Eve, and it always gives me a headache the next day. Hope it doesn't for you!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?