Tuesday, December 05, 2006

To the hipsters moving into Jersey City

“We want people who’d go to Soho to come here. It’s a new frontier. Ten years ago, who went to Tribeca?”- Jersey City cafe owner

I'm too hip to be a hipster,
my kids tell me where to live,
so does my record collection
too damned big to box up & carry
down the stairs just to be cool
in another neighborhood,
I own a good refrigerator
for once, sick of redecorating,
fantasize driving a reliable car
so I can go anywhere on Saturday,
& your band doesn't play
until after midnight? Fuck that!
You think I got money to burn
for $18 macaroni & cheese,
ever hear of Stouffer's,
a kitchen vacation in a box?
I said I want a beer,
not an investment opportunity,

& I'm not putting my art in your
hip shit gallery unless you
intend to sell it.

Comments:
At our age, we've all been hip at least once in our lifetime. It's ok if we don't want to admit it.
 
"Even artists have to sell their babies," said a poet who was the only artist I know who got close enough to his muse to actually love her.
 
The hippest people in New York (or Los Angeles, or Boston) are those who moved in last month.
 
The problem with trendiness, as Yogi Berra said: "No one goes there any more. It's too crowded."
 
I've been noticing people moving more to Jersey City lately, too! My grandma still lives there, but at 90, I dont know if she constitues one of the hip crowd you're referring to. My guess is it's only because the postage stamp of a town called Hoboken was bound to run out of room sometime:)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?