Sunday, December 31, 2006

Something I Dreamed Last Night

Some songs I especially enjoyed playing on the radio in 2006. All RealAudio stream.

Burton Cummings: You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet
Burton croons a song by his former bandmates, including Randy Bachman's guitar solo.

All Nations Rockers: Talking Dubheadz
Deep, deep toke a fat blunt reggae dub, my favorite kind. If it's too monotonous, try it at 4 am.

Jayhawks: Bad Time
Perfect folk rock cover of the Grand Funk hit.

Four Seasons: Marlena
B side of "Candy Girl," they charted together in the Top 20 in 1963. During a week at my grandmother's that summer, an Atlantic City radio station always played both right after the midnight news break, & I stayed awake with a transistor radio under the pillow.

Uun Budiman & the Jugala Gamelan Orchestra: Banondari - Ulah Ceurik
Javanese pop music, very exotic, but you can dance to it if you really try. & if you succeed, you'll feel very happy. Barefoot only.

Pell Mell: Nothing Lies Still Long
I carry in my head an ever-evolving film script set in the environs of Wildwood NJ, about a vacationing teenage pianist who slowly realizes the brilliant older musician she admires who is staying in the same guest house is searching for someone he may be intending to kill. I never write it down because I just use it to collect music for the soundtrack.

The Prehistorics: Alley Oop Cha Cha
A stupid & pointless followup single by the same drunk guys from L.A. who recorded the hit. Hence, admirable radio music.

Kalama's Quartette: When Summer Is Gone
Great Hawaiian vocal from the 1930s, but you should stick around for the next three songs: Annie Kerr, "I've Gone Native Now"; Daphne Walker, "Hootchy Kootchy Henry"; & a Javanese band, Orkes Kroncong Mutiara with an incredibly languid, tropical number called "Laggam Schoon Ver Jan Jou".

Spanky Wilson: Sunshine of Your Love
Yep, it's the Cream classic. The 5th Dimension also did a version, but I suspect they grabbed it from this one.

David Ruffin: One Last Kiss
From an 80s album he did with Eddie Kendricks in the Philly style of Hall & Oates. Very lovely, maybe even sincere. Recorded at the House of Music, West Orange NJ. Also featured in the soundtrack previously mentioned. My fav part is the last 30 seconds - the backup singers subtly shift to call-&-response.

Anita O'Day: Something I Dreamed Last Night
Rhymes with "Oh it's so wrong it can't be right." Make it one for Anita, & one more for the road.

Labels:


Comments:
I used to play DJ when I was a kid. I still think it's a cool idea to play whatever you want, when you want. That's what my mp3 player is for.:)
 
DJing late night at WFMU is nearly the same as DJing at home, except there's better playback equipment & more music to choose from, & you can play it loud if you want.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?