Monday, November 06, 2006

vinyl vinyl vinyl

There's a reason I refer my kind of free form as "discount." I spent $15 for 11 records at the WFMU Record Fair.

Bobby Hackett, Hawaii Swings
Among WFMU DJs, only moi & probably Irwin & Monica could spot the potential here among the boxes of "easy listening." Jackie Gleason's favorite trumpet could play excellent jazz whenever he wanted - he rarely did this late in his career, & Miles admired him; 8 piece group with Hawaii-born session cats on bass & electric steel; guitarists Billy Bauer & John "Bucky" Pizzarelli Sr. doubling on ukeleles. Too much nodding, not enough winking, but nobody falls asleep & there's some 3 minutes gems here.

Philip Rehfeldt plays Music for Clarinet & Tape
I thought "Renascence for Clarinet, Tape Delay System & Prerecorded Tape" could be more tuneful than the title suggested. It is.

Andre Previn & J.J. Johnson, Mack the Knife & other Kurt Weill Songs
At last, I've replaced my worn out copy.

Harry Kaapuni & the Royal Polynesians, Aloha Hawaii
Sealed. Cheap. Irresistable. Based on other Kaapuni cuts I've heard, probably OK poolside cocktail music with a strong country & western flavor. Dedicate this one to Carrie at the Bar & Grill.

Miklos Rozsa, Hungarian Sketches; Concert Overture
1950s LP conducted by the maestro himself. Rozsa was one of those old-time Europe to Hollywood transplants who was almost apologetic that he composed peerless movie scores & good pop melodies but little "serious" music. Now we can hear it was pretty much all of a piece, which is what we want anyway.

Dai-Keong Lee, Polynesian Suite (1959)
I didn't expect an American composer of that era to do something interesting with the concept even though the middle movement of this symphonic conceit is titled "Hula." A disappointment anyway. It's like Lee went to a luau & averted his eyes when the grass skirts started shaking.

Labels:


Comments:
Thanks for the dedication. As I was looking at the cover, and reading (before I got to the Carrie part), I was thinking to myself "hmmm, poolside cocktail music, right up my alley."
 
HeHe this is some collection that won't be duplicated, you have a great eye for old music that was out of the box, even then. I would love to hear some sound bytes. This stuff sounds like fun ;-) PS, the handicapped access to your site, really helps a lot. I don't have to go out at all to find quality entertainment :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?