Thursday, November 16, 2006

I admit to having some Haband clothes (not adjust-O-pedic comfort shoes or ezy-zip cardigans), but no way I'd drop $30 plus shipping for the Stairway to Paradise Chocolate Feast. "Sold separately all over town for up to $8.95 per box!" What town is that?

A strange image, George & Laura play traditional gamelan instruments at a museum in Singapore. But how does their performance compare to the Thai Elephant Orchestra?

A friend emailed me, concerned I hadn't posted on the blog since Monday. I wrote back suggesting she refresh the browser page. Her concern pleased me. A few years ago I had an epiphany; that if I died in current circumstances, either the landlord & his crew would come into my apt, take what they wanted, & put everything else on the curb, or my siblings would do it. In both scenarios all my writing, journals, radio aircheck tapes, etc. would end up in heavy duty trash bags. As difficult as it was to accept, there wasn't much I could do about it. The four old friends who could go through my creative work with any appreciation for its real or potential worth (agreeing with me that it has some) live too far away to form a rescue team (& they'd also walk away with some great books & cds for themselves). About the best I could hope for anyway would be that some of it ended up in the basement storeroom of a university library. This is what initially prompted me to archive a lot of my writing online & then to start a blog. I think many people are driven by the same anxieties to build websites & start blogs. But if one isn't already a writer or journal-keeper, a blog become a tedious project.

Comments:
Funny , I had much the same thought about my photographs recently, though for very different reasons. The sad truth is, when your spouse doesn't understand your work, it's likely to suffer the same fate. At any rate, 30+ years of black and white negatives aren't likely to be printed by anyone under *any* circumstances. Bring on the landfill.
 
Unfortunately, your alma mater no longer has a library where they could disintegrate with some dignity.
 
That's an interesting observation about why people blog. I wasn't already a writer or journal-keeper, and you're right, sometimes blogging becomes a tedious project. Often, however, while I'm out in Real Life (tm) I find myself narrating how the blog post about whatever I'm doing will go- even if they almost never get used.

Maybe I was a writer and just didn't know it?
 
And for me, I am a regular journal writer, having kept one since the early 1980's. I have over 20 volumes.

Blogging is easy for me, and I totally enjoy it. And it was Bob's blog that made me decide to do one of my own.
 
You make me think perhaps I should leave my blog user ID and password in the file cabinet where my husband can find it if something happens to me.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?