Thursday, November 30, 2006

Although the City of Rahway NJ did me a great service six years ago, it took a long time to forgive it for what it did the following year: towing away my car after a snowstorm that occurred while I was at my sister's recuperating from serious eye surgery. Which is how I came yesterday to mail a check for $200 to NJ Motor Vehicle for payment on two restoration fees. I only had to pay one right now since I no longer have a car. But miracles happen, I may have a car again someday, that other outstanding "restoration" debt wasn't going away & for all I know would follow me to another state where I wouldn't even be able to register an electric moped. I suppose I could also blame local zoning laws that permitted a "garden" style apartment building with fewer parking spaces than units; I doubt that's allowed anymore. Anyway, the towing incident, along with a late night encounter I had with four zealous cops who thought the short middle aged guy walking to Dunkin' Donuts they'd seen around downtown for over a decade might be a crack dealer, somewhat soured my feeling about the city; I never again felt quite as comfortably at home, & I viewed specific police officers who commonly patroled the downtown with suspicion regarding their skills in dealing with ordinary citizens, & their intelligence. My relationship with the city descended to the level of the one I'd had with Linden during the years I resided there; an appreciation of certain conveniences without much warmth involved. A shame, really, since Rahway is only the second place I've lived as adult where I didn't constantly wish I was somewhere else (the first was an old farmhouse I shared in college, during the day I could practice piano as loud as I wanted). The encounter with the police is a short story I never get around to writing & I'll probably mention it over & over until I do. Well, the city can still make it up to me.

Comments:
Here I see low level street dealers quite a bit. On Irving Street in Rahway the only obvious dealer I saw was an idiot working without a lookout or a bicycle messenger on a street that saw a patrol car at least 4 times an hour. When a cop car slowed down to have a look, the guy threw a bag into the Rahway River, then jumped in himself & crawled up into the rat infested drainage pipes beneath the bridge. So the cops just shut the street down, called in "Pride of Downtown" fire rescue unit & popped manholes until the freaked out guy came out. It was a very amusing 1/2 hour for everyone.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?