Thursday, October 05, 2006

Such a pleasant evening that I decided to enjoy the sunset & hoof it to the supermarket for a supply of 400 calorie nutritional shakes. I have to look at the drug plan guide & see if my doc can prescribe these, because they're pricy when not on sale.

I recently passed on two angrily contested Democratic primary elections for city council here in Elizabeth, the second one court-ordered. Concluded I didn't care which guy represented my ward. I could reasonably assume the regular party candidate, the mayor's pick, didn't have an independent or contrary idea in his head he'd be willing to express. But the incumbent (who lost) was hardly a "reform" candidate. Rather, he's an Ed Koch type who loudly reminds you he's a Democrat before kissing Republicans. He learned this from his mentor, the late former mayor of Elizabeth, who sponsored a big New York media campaign appearance in front of city hall for Ronald Reagan back in 1984 that I attended out of curiosity, & there witnessed unemployed union maritime workers being insulted & shouted down by local senior citizens wearing polyester leisure suits who had been bused to the event, probably at city expense.

News from one of my other hometowns, Sex club to close its doors in Rahway. I used to find myself on occasion sitting at same table with the owner of the swinger's club on the outside deck of the bar next to his place. He was an amiable man, although I wasn't comfortable around him. Other local business & political people sitting at the same or nearby tables took a live & let live attitude toward the naughty enterprise. The club was patronized by well-dressed couples (who later undressed) driving very expensive cars, many with New York license plates, parking in back & entering discreetly. I expressed my opinion a number of times to anyone who would listen that the club hardly fit it in with the plans & strategies for downtown "improvement." Didn't feel I could write a good newspaper column against it unless I was willing to actually join the club & find a "date" who would go there with me, which was beyond my investigative interests, or maybe just beyond my capacity to indulge those interests, It wasn't the same sort of thing as when I began noticing prostitutes in the vicinity of a downtown Chinese restaurant with a reputable dance school in back & massage parlor upstairs. The city shut the parlor down pretty fast.

Comments:
You might have had some difficulty getting the city to reimburse your expenses. Your wife would have reimbursed you with the full fury of her Irish temper. I shudder to think of that.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?