Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Self-portrait with new coat
Whaddayado with a modest sportscoat nowadays? I'm from sportscoat/blazer family. Males wore one (with a tie) to church & to court when contesting a traffic ticket, to any indoor concert featuring classical music. You came to family holiday dinners wearing one, even if you took it off right away & hung it on the back of the chair. It was OK for certain kinds of parties, for bars above the level of neighborhood gin mills, for art show openings & New York museums. Refusing to wear a sportscoat was an initial symptom of my late-adolescent rebellion. But when I taught music in the 80s I welcomed the opportunity to don one again if I felt like it. Then, it seemed like my sister had become the last woman on Earth who appreciated men wearing sportscoats when there was no sign at the entrance requiring them, & said so.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?