Thursday, August 03, 2006

Waking up in Ocean City

A year arrived when Dad & Mom rented a large apartment on Wesley Ave. in Ocean City for a week. This was a fabulous turn of events for me. We'd always stayed in Somers Point, totally dependent on the car & Dad's timetable to get us to & from the beach & boardwalk. But my cousin was married & she & her husband were filling their house with babies, our noisy annual visits had become too great a hassle for them. Now I would go to bed in Ocean City & wake up in Ocean City. The apartment was in an old victorian type like this one, with a high front porch. it's probably a B&B now. While everyone was jockeying for their rooms I grabbed the little one nobody wanted - behind the kitchen & next to a back door opening on a delivery alleyway that cut through the middle of the block. I discovered a network of these back alleys in OC. My room had been a walk in pantry or cook's bedroom.

I'd also discovered inner tubes in a pile of huge discarded truck tires next to a repair shop in Roselle Park. Patched & fully inflated, the tube was as tall as me, a massive black donut. I'd tested it out in our circular backyard pool, learned to stand up on it & dive off. The only problem was a long L shaped valve protruding from the center, but if it was pointed down you minimized any chance of getting a painful scratch. I couldn't wait to try it out on ocean waves. When I first rolled my giant tube out of the alley & down the street to the beach, I could tell Ocean City had never seen anything like it. Fortunately, neither had the Ocean City lifeguards, who generally took a lenient attitude toward flotation devices anyway & were too amused to question me about its safety & reliability. The tube performed royally on the long, high swells that came across Ocean City's sand bars, & even large breakers tended to bounce it toward the shore rather than flipping it. & just as in the pool, with a little practice I discovered I could stand up on it & keep standing, riding up & down as waves passed underneath. Rich kids watched me with envy. & it hadn't cost me a cent. My giant tube was so ahead of its time - nobody was floating down the Delaware in them yet - evincing such "Incredible, why didn't I think of it?" reactions from others that it may well have been the pinnacle of my childhood. Since I already stuttered & had won free games of miniature golf on the 18th hole despite terrible scores, there was nothing left to do but wait for puberty.

(Our apt was on the the porch & 2nd  floors of a house like this one)

It rained a couple of times that week, I recall some card-playing & boredom. Ocean City was a safe place; although I was only 10 I was pretty much allowed to go my own way as long as I met up with the family on the beach & returned for supper. Mine wasn't a togetherness kind of family. My sister was into boy-watching, one of my brothers was addicted to skeeball, the oldest tended to just disappear, showing up later with something weird from a novelty store. Ocean City wasn't known for big rides & fancy amusements. There was enticing food everywhere, & what seemed like two dozen candy shops, brightly lit sugar emporiums, inside were smiling teenage girls wearing white blouses & striped aprons, standing behind long glass display cases packed with trays of goodies, inducing a week-long Pavlovian drool & a craving for chocolate variations almost mystical in intensity. But an ice cream cone was all I could expect from my parents. I did enjoy tagging along on their leisurely nightly boardwalk strolls through the shops with classy fronts but packed with the same old dusty kitsch souvenir merchandise inside - yet endlessly fascinating to a kid; hearing corny band music leaking from the Music Pier; stopping to watch a stainless steel salt water taffy machine twisting the gooey stuff at one end & popping out little perfectly wrapped candies at the other. That week was first time I really explored a Jersey boardwalk, finding the nooks, crannies, hiding places & shortcuts. But it was just a warm-up. By the following summer my grandmother had retired, moved out of our house & into a great apartment one block from the Atlantic City boardwalk.

Week In Ocean City: Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
We would rent a house in Vegas for a month in the summer. My uncle was always playing some hotel for four to six weeks, (he's a drummer, and toured with singers, like Vic Damone and Vikki Carr) so the family trekked from L.A. a few summers. When I was trying to figure out what to do for my 50th birthday, I ended up renting a six bedroom hacienda in Vegas for a three-day weekend and invited a shitload of people to come hang out and party! Hell, we even drove in fresh lobster (I have pictures of the lobsters) from Santa Monica and I flew in my favorite chef from New York (ok, not a FAMOUS chef, I said my favorite.. big difference!).

Family vacations are a thing of the past. It's really too bad, too. Such a wealth of experience.
 
For my 50th I got a small motel room in North Wildwood & spent 5 days by myself. I had a good time.
 
For my 50th, I tried my best to forget my misery and it must have worked because I can't remember a thing about it now.
 
Ok, you guys. That cracked me up.
 
P.S., posted the lobster and bartending pictures at my blog. :)
 
I've lived in Jersey all my life but we never went to the shore when I was growing up. I remember one cold April trip to see the ocean but that was it. It was not until I was a teenager and had friends who could drive that I really went down the shore.

We just spent a week down the shore with my family and three other familes who are like family to us. One guy's parents own a house there and let us use the place for free. We won't be able to go back there, but I'm glad my kids will have some down-the-shore memories. If you grow up in Jersey, you should have some.
 
I've met people who despised their childhood shore vacations. Because as a child you're trapped in your surroundings. There's also lake vacations - I had slight experience with those. A couple of years ago I wrote how I might now find them pleasant in A Day At Lake Owassa.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?