Thursday, August 10, 2006

Thank you, Great Britain. Hi, Uncle Ned.

Now we'll have to deal with the irony of right wing Republicans charging up their fall campaigns based on the busting up of a terrorist conspiracy by police from a nation with socialized medicine & a law that gives all the legal rights of marriage to homosexuals. The Brits wrecked the conspiracy & we owe them our gratitude. GWB says we're fighting terrorists in Iraq so we don't have to fight them here. But I see the British fighting terrorists in England so we don't have to fight them here. There's a pretty good reason for tossing out the Republicans & Democrats & electing a Labour Party government, national health care, gay rights & all.
***
I got a chuckle out of this Paul Mulshine observation in his column Country-club Democrat has neocons jittery:
"The minute I laid eyes on U.S. Senate candidate Ned Lamont at the Orange volunteer firemen's carnival in Connecticut, I recognized the type. Slim. Athletic. Well-dressed but in a casual manner, as if he'd just stepped off the golf course.

"Yes, Ned Lamont was a dead ringer for my uncle Ned, right down to the facial features and the mannerisms."
I also had an Uncle Ned, but his name was Jack. My family didn't grow its own of this type, so my aunt married one. I don't know anything about Uncle Jack's politics, but he would have made a marvelous politician, albeit one who preferred kissing pretty young women to babies. He was a grownup preppy. Vermont skiing in winter along with a trip to Florida; beach cottage at the shore. Boyish, always impeccably dressed, quick with a sharp quip, to which my aunt would usually react with a half-exasperated "Oh Jack." Jack took me to a Rutgers-Princeton football game at Rutgers, we sat in the alumni section - nice seats. I don't know if Jack had attended Rutgers - my aunt worked for Douglass College - & looking at the near-geezers sitting around us I easily imagined when they had worn fur coats & straw boaters & carried flasks of bootleg gin to football games; Jack was a few years too late for those fads. So I see Uncle Jack in Ned Lamont. As liberal as Ned is, he will not betray his class. It's George W. Bush who betrayed it. Because George behaves like new money; a profligate spender (of lives & treasure), anti-intellectual, too familiar toward people he hardly knows, exchanged his Episopalianism for southern holiness-style Methodism. Don't worry about Ned; he knows who he is. It's GWB who's confused about his identity.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?