Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Plutonizing the zodiac

"The number of planets around the Sun could rise from nine to 12 - with more on the way - if experts approve a radical new vision of our Solar System."

There would be a new subcategory of planets - plutons. If the new system is approved & adopted world-wide, astrologers will have to decide what to do with additional Trans-Neptunian Objects. I'm a Scorpio. My sign used to be ruled by Mars, which also rules Aries. After Pluto was discovered & named a planet, Scorps became "Pluto-ized" (a word from Marvin Gaye's "Funky Space Reincarnation"). Suddenly, this incredibly distant icy spheroid had to be figured into astrological calculations. Now, will the complex system have to be plutonized?

Comments:
Teenagers obsess about all kinds of things. Among other interests, the guys I hung out with were passionate about astronomy. I once got into a fist fight following a dispute over whether or not there could be a tenth planet. I knew full well how difficult it'd been to find Pluto, even though its gravity gave clear indications of its presence.

It made perfect sense that a world even further away would more difficult to find. Gordon, a kid I only marginally liked anyway, disagreed a bit too vehemently, I suppose.

Since then I've welcomed even the news of Pluto's 'new' moons and went absolutely balistic (sorry) when I'd heard 'Xena' had been discovered.

Being right is good.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?