Friday, July 21, 2006

weather radar

Online animated radar is great. I was intending to walk ten minutes to the train station, go to Rahway, & walk ten minutes up to my bank. With storms in the forecast, I checked radar first. Good thing. I would've been caught in the kind of deluge here that renders umbrellas useless, accompanied by frequent fantastic lightning with near-instantaneous thunder. The storms here included a mammoth 42,000 foot cell. Another series hit Rahway six miles south about an hour later. Click on pic for animated version, just after the worst had passed. Yellow square indicates that storm cell contains hail. Small black boxes are lightning. I'm under B1 in the last frame.

Back in an ancient era when you had to have Weather Channel on cable to watch local radar, a friend & I were having a romantic dockside dinner at a small restaurant in North Wildwood. It was a lovely night. Then, a thunderstorm approached from the southwest. It poured & thundered & we couldn't have our cannoli & espresso. It ended before we were out of the parking lot. Two blocks away the streets were dry. Back on the motel TV we watched a tiny storm, the only one on the entire South Jersey radar screen, come off Delaware Bay, across Cape May, pass directly over our table, & head out to sea.

Labels: ,


Comments:
I am newly addicted to this website only that lets you see the current detours, delays and accidents in NJ. It tells you the time and sometimes even how to avoid it. Of course this doesnt help you WHILE driving, but still.:)
 
I wonder how the internet would have changed me had it been around in the 60s. I read long novels & could spend hours exploring a single jetty at the shore, but had a short attention span for just about everything else.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?