Monday, June 19, 2006

Air Conditioner

The air conditioner I thought was too large is in the window & working, I figured out how I could keep more than 50% of the weight on the inside, & this week I'll make it more secure. It keeps the room not hot & takes out the humidity, it's blowing cool air on me 15 feet away, & when I curtain off a large open entryway I'm pretty sure it'll cool the entire space OK. Last night was the first time I ever slept here with a/c, that was a civilized experience. Plus, it lets me shut out some of the noisy people who congregate on the corner outside, & the loudly chirping birds that wake up long before sunrise - sometimes one perches on the fire escape & I'd have to get outta bed, go over to that window & chase it away. All the bird is saying is "hey hey hey hey" because there's nothing else to communicate at that hour. It's not a mockingbird, which I don't mind listening to at night provided it's high in tree at least 100 yards away.

The woman who drove me over to buy the a/c is also the friend who calmed me when I was certain the unit was too large - an assessment based on the instruction manual. I'm an excitable guy, & inclined to negativity when initially faced with even small unexpected challenges. Women are much better than men at getting me step back & steady out, maybe they're just more sensitive to my psychological being. It's not the same as being mothered, although like most men I enjoy that, too. I don't need or long for what a lot of guys consider "mothering," the domestic stuff, the source of endless situation comedy cliches about hapless men in the kitchen or doing the laundry. For me, mothering is physical affection with an Oedipal spin, & as a poet I not only can handle it, I'm amused by it.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?