Wednesday, June 14, 2006

1996: it was a very bad year

This is the 10th anniversary of a terrible six month period, & a lousy year generally. A beloved girlfriend left me - all the reasons she had were sufficient & certainly added up. I was working at Union County social services, earning a living wage & decent benefits, but was laid off after only 5+ months as part of the Clinton welfare "reforms." I wasn't altogether dismayed by this, since I had been poorly trained for the job by someone who was not very good at it, been "civil service" promoted to the next level of mediocrity, & promptly abandoned me, her replacement, to a pile of complex, messy unfinished cases while other trainees were being smoothly guided by their conscientious mentors into the routines & shortcuts of the work. I never got a handle on it, & one of those messy cases had already gone to a hearing; the County won, my supervisor was actually pleased I'd nailed a serious cheater so fast; but I was falling behind on everything else. I disliked the job & workplace, & from the start was trying to figure out how to get transferred to the smaller Plainfield office. Both my mother & stepfather were dying & I'll always feel ashamed of how I handled that, I can't use their timing as an excuse, I simply failed to be compassionate & dutiful. So while 1995 had ended with hopes I'd struggled for several years to pull together, six months into 1996 they were all falling apart & I had nothing with which to replace them.

I started seeing a therapist over the summer, he was helping me cope, then abruptly announced he was emigrating to Israel. Which didn't matter because the 90 day post-layoff grace period on my health insurance was ending anyway. I'd taken a sabbatical from WFMU & didn't have a weekly radio show to lean on. I couldn't afford to head down to Wildwood by myself for a 5 night August R&R, & had no one to go with. My only positive memories of that summer are of exploring the Jersey bayshore - driving down Route 36 & turning left into some neighborhood I'd never visited, & of the many late evenings spent over friend Edie's chatting about literature & movies. On warm Sunday nights I usually nursed a few beers at the uncrowded Waiting Room bar in Rahway, feeding dollar bills into a juke with an excellent selection of CDs including Sinatra, The Stones, Steely Dan, & The Clash. I was in a funk for nearly the entire year.

Oddly, an angel appeared as my unemployment ran out, a man from a nonprofit agency in Elizabeth who'd interviewed everyone laid off from County, had little to offer at the time, received some additional funding for a six week computer class, remembered me, called, got me an extension on benefits, & I learned basic PC applications including Windows '95, just in time for the internet bubble. I never fully adjusted to the changes brought by the 1996 watershed; I didn't lock up my heart but it's stayed loosely wrapped ever since; I was finally too old to play a young literary lion; my family had totally fragmented; & when I went back to WFMU, I realized the well of under-appreciated & obscure recorded music that had carried me through 15 years there had at last dried up. The studios were located at the edge of a desolate, bankrupted Upsala College campus where I'd met wonderful friends who had moved away &had had so many enjoyable experiences. Until 1996 I looked, felt & behaved at least ten years younger than my actual age. I couldn't do much about the looks, but I learned in the years following that there are other parts a poet must at least keep suspended in a kind of agelessness, if not youth. & some people never understand whatthehell poets are saying.

Labels: ,


Comments:
With agelessness comes wisdom.
 
Some people never understand what the hell anyone is saying. There are more of them each year and never have they been so proud of their ignorance.

I remember those times. They weren't particularly good for many of us but I don't know anyone that they hit any harder than they hit you...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?