Tuesday, May 30, 2006


It looks like a flowerpot drum. Actually, it's a simple homemade microphone designed to "record vocalizations of night migrating birds." The device is constructed of inexpensive Radio Shack parts, a disposable plate, two plastic flowerpots, plus a few other items. Could be a cool low fi method of capturing ambient sound.

In his new expose book (yawn), former Gov. Jim McGreevey writes that the annual League of NJ Municipalities convention is sexed up, lots of hot pickup action. Heavens, it's Atlantic City! You can buy anything. I don't know what the bigshots end up doing in the privacy of their suites, but I doubt many of the thousands of lowly city employees & functionaries who manage a day off to go there expect more than some free food & drink - & not as much of those as in past years - plus all the notepads, pens, calendars, tee shirts & other swag they could bag from the exhibiters at the Convention Center. I will read "The Confession" very quickly when the library gets it. My hunch is that it won't be nearly lurid enough to please me.

Comments:
So wait, not only is McGreevey out, he's telling us where the action is!?
 
I somehow shoehorned myself into an Irish pub - most crowded bar I'd ever been in - if you drank enough of the free beer & rotgut scotch you might be able to handle a free chewy corned beef sandwich. I have no idea who sponsored the event. Fortunately, I was informed that later that evening the Mayor of Linden would be serving better liquor & snacks to folks from Union County in his suite at Caesars. As indeed, he did.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?