Saturday, April 29, 2006

We were brilliant in Linden

Bumped up from 4/27 comments. For six years unbeknownst to each other Jill from Brilliant At Breakfast & I lived about a ten minute walk apart in Linden NJ but on opposite sides of US Route One. She was next to Linden Airport, which in addition to many small planes also hosted helicopters & an occasional blimp. I was on a dead end street by a park, but we heard the same 18 wheeler trucks roaring through at 3 am. She may have been living there when a nearby chemical plant blew up, a spectacular, frightening event. She was from the quiet tree lined streets of Westfield, I was from the quiet tree-lined Roselle Park, so that part of Linden was no doubt a rather strange place for both of us.
I lived in Linden from 1978 to 1984, on a little street called Harding Avenue, off of South Stiles Street, in a building owned by the owner by the fuel oil company next door, who seemed to own the entire block. It was a nice little neighborhood, a block from Linden Airport, within practically spitting distance from the tank farms, and I could see the Exxon flare stacks from my living room window.

That part of Jersey really IS pretty ugly, for the most part.

Bob, do you by any chance remember a restaurant called the Drop Zone in Roselle? This was the weirdest restaurant ever. It was run by a WWII fanatic, it was laid out like a military mess hall, and they played Frank Sinatra music all the time. Salad was served in metal bowls like you've seen in movies about Army mess halls, and the food was sort of mediocre-to-passable red sauce Italian.

The other lore I remember from my stays in that part of Jersey (I grew up in Westfield) were the nice little bar at the Cranford Hotel, where you could go with a date and have a drink in front of a roaring real fireplace; Big Stash's; some dance hall that was frequented by Portuguese guys from Carteret; and the hot roast beef sandwiches we used to eat on cold winter days at the Exxon station at the corner of Route 1 and South Stiles Street where I used to work on weekends.
posted by Jill
The dance hall I don't know. What was with those Portuguese guys? Big Stash's in Linden is popular for kielbasa, goulash, & generously portioned deli sandwiches.
I went to the Drop Zone once & only once. The owner would play the National Anthem & expect everyone to stand up & salute. A lawyer who was eating there sued him over it & lost. There were plenty of better inexpensive spaghetti & antipasto joints; Tep's in Rahway (now seafood), one in Cranford that turned into The Office, & of course Spirito's in Peterstown, still there & smoke-free for the first time since 1492.

Cranford Hotel had a rep as a pleasant meat rack for suburban singles. Only hung out there a few times. My brother & I were late returning for the evening session of my father's wake in Elizabeth because we decided to drive over to Stash's for pastrami on rye, & a couple beers in his honor (Dad appreciated Stash's) & the place was a bit crowded.

When I went back to college in 1990 I used to study at the Wendy's on Wood Ave. in the afternoon. For some reason they played classical music over the speakers, it was never busy. I'd get a burger & iced tea from the value menu. Be there for several hours & nobody bothered me.
posted by Bob

Labels:


Comments:
I remember being a little kid and ordering fried fish at the Coach and Four in Cranford. Does that ring a bell?

Yes, I remember the bit about the national anthem at the Drop Zone. You didn't go for the food, you'd go for the bizarro militaristic ambiance.

Those hot roast beef sandwiches I mentioned might have even been from Big Stash's, I don't know. But damn, nothing ever tasted better than those sandwiches on a cold day.

I think I had moved by the time of the chemical plant explosion....I lived in Linden from 1978 - April 1984.

Don't remember much else about Linden other than the dirt and it smelled bad all the time and two men in their 60's on Harding Avenue -- one of them my landlord, died of brain tumors a few years after I left.
 
For some reason the Drop Zone entered my head a few days ago. I just searched for the term and found this blog post -- the only reference to it anywhere.

I must have been only 7 or 10 at the time of my only visit there, and I do recall the adults in the group having some reactions to the whole thing. It wasn't just a trip for dinner.

Going into a Buca Di Beppo's (bucadibeppo.com) as an adult also brought back a memory of the Drop Zone.

What a strange thing to stick in my head -- and then to find a recent blog post about!
 
I found this the same way
"For some reason the Drop Zone entered my head a few days ago. I just searched for the term and found this blog post"

I was also pretty young... 10-12 y/o

And remember the sinatra music and great garlic cheese bread.

We went there pretty often... probably 5-6 times/year.

I also grew up in Westfield... although I suspect I'm considerably younger than Bob Rixon. (WHS class of '89)

We used to go there a lot with my grandparents... he was a also a WWII veteran and loved sinatra music.

My grandfather passed away almost 20 years ago... my grandmother more recently.

So I guess that's why we went there often with them. (They lived in Cranford.)
 
I used to goto the drop zone as a kid.... ALOT! I loved it and I thought the food was great. I remember they had a old advertisement for tape worms as a diet aid.
 
Any photos of this place. We went there a number of times but never had a camera.
 
I loved Drop Zone too. Went there as a kid and I remember that ad. Good times!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?