Monday, March 27, 2006

A fine little joint

I'll just post this as a public service.
February 26, 2006
QUICK BITE/Roselle; Satisfying a Hamburger Jones
By JACK SILBERT New York Times

If you are reading this on Sunday between noon and 3 p.m., I am listening to "The Glen Jones Radio Programme Featuring X. Ray Burns" on WFMU-FM (91.1). As a loyal member of the IBJ -- International Brotherhood of Jones -- I take Jonesey's words to heart. So when he recently waxed nostalgic about the "best hamburgers in the world" at the White Rose in Roselle, I knew where my dining destiny lay.

Picture a classic Jersey train-car diner. Now toss out the booths and shrink the place. This is the White Rose. (Linden and Highland Park have separately owned White Rose locations; the mini-chain dates back to the late 1950's.) Inside, nearly everything is light blue or chrome. Two-foot-high stools line the big front windows. "Put some George Jones on the jukebox and you're set," Jonesey had said. Heeding his advice, I punched in No. 7001 ("White Lightnin'") and settled in at one of the other stools by the counter.

A very friendly fellow named Jim wrote down my order on a white paper bag. Almost instantly, my food arrived: a large burger ($2.20) with cheese (30 cents) and bacon ($1.20) and a side of gravy fries ($2.50). The patty, clearly made from fresh beef, was pressed flat, steaming hot and delicious. I had to have another. This time I went with a small cheeseburger ($1.40), served on a standard bun rather than the large burger's Kaiser roll.

White Rose also offers breakfast items, hot dogs, Buffalo wings, sandwiches (B.L.T., steak, Taylor ham and egg), soup, chili and more.

An early 1980's song claimed, "Last Night a D. J. Saved My Life." That's overstatement here, but still, a really excellent burger. Thanks, Jonesey.

White Rose System, 201 East First Avenue, Roselle NJ.
Glen & his lovely woman friend took me there about 2 am after a party last year. I hadn't been in that White Rose in a long time. I had Taylor ham & cheese on a roll, & Glen played "He Stopped Loving Her Today" on the juke. Perfect wrap to a fun evening.

Labels:


Comments:
Ummmm! I remember the White Rose very fondly!
 
While there I was thinking how you, me, Bruce L., & even Vin Scelsa all knew that White Rose, so it had a WFMU / Upsala connection long before Glen Jones found it.
 
Linden & Highland Park are also called "The System." But it's not a franchise operation. All three are independently owned restaurants, but were established by two brothers & a cousin.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?