Sunday, February 19, 2006

The Dream

Last night about 1 am I happened to glance at the calendar icon on my start page. There in red letters was "radio show tonight." I briefly panicked, but quickly remembered I had accepted an overnight WFMU fill-in for tonight, not Saturday, & then traded it almost immediately for one next month, before I scheduled the automatic e-mail reminders.. But it was enough of a shock to give me The Dream.

The Dream comes in many forms but it is always exhausting & like not sleeping at all. I'm somewhere doing something when I realize I have to do a radio show & I won't get to the studio on time. Or I'm at the studio & the configuration of the control board is changed, maybe there's only one turntable & one CD player, & then a song ends & I have nothing cued up & even if there's 1000 CDs in the room I can't get it together to pick one. The dream I had early this morning was just another variation on a theme. I was having a fine time with familiar friends at a wedding reception, no idea who was the happy couple. Suddenly I remembered I had a radio show at 2 am. I looked the clock: 1:40 am. No way I'd make it, but if I phoned the on-air DJ right away that I could get there by 2:30, maybe I wouldn't be in big trouble. I asked someone to call for me as I frantically looked for any kind of music to throw in my bag & get me started. Oddly, the wedding reception was near my music shelves. I randomly got some stuff together & was about to race out to a car I had 20 years ago when I looked at the clock again: the time was 4:20 am. How the hell did that happen? I felt an almost paralyzing anxiety. I woke up. As I said, like not sleeping at all.

Labels: ,


Comments:
I think we all have some version of that dream. Mine has me trying to go somewhere, but somehow I just can't get out of the house. Sometimes, it's my parents' house (who've been gone for years and years) or my own now, but things keep happening that I must take care of right away, or the family can't get it together, or something else happens and I never get to leave the house.

Ugh. Now I'll probably have that dream tonight.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?