Wednesday, January 11, 2006

A Mild Spell

"This is so cool! I know it's because of all the fans who are my number-one supporters."
Jessica Simpson, accepting People's Choice Award for Favorite Song From a Movie
("These Boots Are Made for Walkin' " from "The Dukes of Hazzard.")

Mild weather this week, 50s here in Jersey, 60s in Virginia.
January will return on Sunday. Every day like this is one day less winter.
Opened & closed my umbrella about five times. Really needed the sheet of
two cent stamps & the excellent deal on Chock full O' Nuts New York Roast
("Dark, Bold & Intense") plus a can of good Progresso soup. Stopped in at the
branch library & spent a worthwhile 1/2 hour familiarizing myself with the
computer. Then Dunkin' Donuts, saving my cappuccino coupon for a colder
day, sat & read Rita Dove's essay on Paul the Apostle which I enjoyed a lot more
than I expected. Books I recently read by Anne Lamott & Paul Coles disappointed.
On The Secular Mind jacket much was made of Coles' personal connections
to Paul Tillich, Dorothy Day, & William Carlos Williams, but the whole center
of the book was occupied by an essay based on readings of George Eliot's
Middlemarch
& George Meredith. The two high school girls sitting
across from me chatted on as Rita's story spun out of memories from her
Akron A.M.E. Sunday School class. She quoted Hilda Doolittle. Now
it was raining. One more thing, frosted shredded wheat, late night munchie.
I had my umbrella.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?