Tuesday, November 29, 2005

weird, beautiful, unpredictable

I go way back with this listener, to when I had weekly shows, he's always appreciative, but this e mail encomium really knocked me out:
You're the undisputed King of Fill-ins. which seems like a pretty decent non-gig.

It's not so much the number of shows you do--though you may even be the leader in THAT this year--but the variety of shows you "replace". The fact that so many VERY different djs ask you is a real tribute to your taste and freeform skills. your shows are weird, beautiful, unpredictable and often Great....as you and other FMU types must be aware.
A great compliment from a person so familiar with WFMU. I do only about 10 shows each year. Other "bench" staffers do more. But I'm on the bench by choice, I don't solicit fill-ins, & unfortunately have to turn a number down for various reasons. A few shows come my way at the last minute through desperation. Some DJs are aware that I respect the overall style, tastes & listeners of the regularly-scheduled program enough to do shows that are not complete departures, & that I also announce during every set break that I am filling in & who I'm there for is probably appreciated more than one might think. I still go my own way, because there's a lot of ways I'm capable of going. & I don't pretend to be an "expert" in anything. It's easy to discern my fondness for drone & repetition, "New Thing" jazz, old organs & synths, 70s funkystuff, & medium-tempo rock. I decline all requests for programs that begin at 6 or 9 a.m. Chiki Chiki Boom

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?