Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The Nap

I lay down for a nap & fell asleep.
In my nap I was taking a nap,
I saw myself taking a nap next to an open window.
I was under old blankets, & the bed
was in a kitchen next to a stove.
The kitchen was in a large house.
There were familiar people in the house.
Most of them were going upstairs,
on a stairway I didn't see, but I wasn't interested,
I knew what was on the second floor;
the WFMU radio studios, & I could always
hang out up there. So I decided to get up
& have a look around the first floor of the house.
It was quite large.
In the first room off the hallway I saw a horse
resting on the floor. When I walked in the room
it stood up. I wanted to stroke its nose
but I had no apple for it, so I let it alone
rather than make it anxious.
In another room two people were either assembling
or disassembling an artifical Christmas tree
I realized I didn't know if it was before
or after Christmas. A few of the rooms appeared
to be bedrooms people used, with doors that probably
opened into bathrooms. They were sparsely furnished
& fairly neat, so I didn't look at them too closely
or disturb anything.
Coming back down the main hallway toward the kitchen
a large entry way on the left opened into what had been
a living room when a regular family lived there,
but now it was mostly empty. A man
was stretched out on the floor relaxing. He was a
strange looking man, but not so strange that you
would notice him in a crowd. On the walls were
large posters that were like the artsy greeting cards
graphics companies sent me when I worked for a graphics studio.
"It's a nice house," the man said. "Yes," I replied,
"but everything on this floor was probably donated
or loaned, everything upstairs we bought."
& that was the end of my dream & my nap.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?