Monday, September 26, 2005

A short wire story like this: School expels lesbians' daughter brings out the silly indignation in liberals. PastorDan at Street Prophets notes the "exclusivist tendencies among some parts of the Christian body." Robert Reyes at American Chronicle wonders if the school would "expel a student if one of his (my italics) parents is a tax cheater, adulterer or drunkard.." To Reyes I say, "Probably not, but the church would surely expect & even pressure the parent to make some efforts at reforming behavior. " To PastorDan, I ask, "How inclusive does a part of the Christian institutional body become before it loses its identity (say, as Presbyterian) or even ceases to be Christian?" I'm not defending the Episcopalian school in Ontario CA. I expect - demand - that public schools be inclusive, & that the broader this inclusiveness, the more prudent a public school has to be about exhibiting, promoting or endorsing religious viewpoints. Which is why I'm a secularist in regard to public education. I'd rather (with some nostalgic regrets) that a public school close the door on Nativity Christmas carols than risk opening the door to creationism in science class.

What happened to the young woman is sad & regrettable. We have a long way to go. But I hope her parents don't fight the decision. Better to shake the dust of that place from one's sandals & go. I want those unenlightened Episcopalians & their school to be separate & apart: They represent something old & disreputable that will eventually shrivel away & disappear. That is my faith.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?