Monday, August 15, 2005

Greetings from Lake Owassa

Spent a very enjoyable Saturday afternoon at Lake Owassa, where the water was cool & the air was not 100 degrees. I did something very stupid though. After having a large cup of wine & sizable section of hot Italian sausage on a roll, I decided to skip using an inflatable float toy, jumped in the lake & set out for the raft. An 8 month pregnant young woman had just done it, & there she was sitting on the raft laughing with a bunch of other partyers. I hadn't been freshwater swimming in 6 years, never was a strong swimmer, & have little upper body strength. Fortunately, my body reminded me of this before I reached the halfway point. I turned back & I doubt if I've ever felt more relieved than when my feet found a place that wasn't over my head. I was exhausted, & shaken up that such a modest amount of alcohol could make me so impulsive. Before I went to the party I'd told a few people how much I was looking forward to paddling around with my butt in the middle of an inner tube. Most of the remainder of the afternoon was spent contentedly on the floating dock with my feet dangling in the water. I described pretty Lake Owassa in detail in a post from last year's event.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?