Friday, June 03, 2005

Galloping Hill Inn: better memories than hot dogs

Today I was at the Galloping Hill Inn (some old-timers still know it as Peterson's) at Five Points, 325 Chestnut Street, in Union NJ. There was nothing special about the hot dog or the roll. The hot dog was a pasty, skinless thing - I didn't bother to ask what brand. The bun - always the real selling point in the past - was definitely not the memorable Zimmerman's roll of yore. Adequate. The waffle fries were excellent, crispy brown on the outside & spiced with what I think was paprika. Above average onion rings. Potato salad ordinary (R.I.P. Rahway's The Waiting Room). It's a large menu. My lunch companion enjoyed the inexpensive "crab cakes" which at the price were certainly not loaded with genuine crabmeat but were superior fast food fried fish cakes. My iced tea had hardly any ice & was served unsweetened with lemon slices, comparable to Wendy's. Sit down service - it was drizzling outside - was quick & friendly, the waitress a fiftyish woman, a familiar type who'd probably worked there for years &, as I remarked to my friend, could well have been a high school classmate. Lunch hour parking was an annoyance due to an affair at the adjacent catering hall. A worthwhile destination for local people, & for anyone who wants to have a look at the "legend" - the old whitewashed wooden building. But in a region known for many variations of great hot dogs, including Charlie's just up the road in Kenilworth, Galloping Hill Inn is not a contender.
Galloping Hill Inn is to the right of the orange pin. I grew up about mile south of this location, in Roselle Park.

Comments:
Buy One Dog Get the second Free Day is coming up soon. Call (908) 686-2683 for details.
 
I have to strongly disagree with you here. Galloping Hill Inn has lines out the door all summer long, for the hot dogs. The hot dogs aren't a brand, they are custom made just for the store. I know because I asked them where I could buy such delicious hot dogs and you can't! The topping like th chili cheese are amazing and the buns are not your typical hot dog buns - they're fresh and chewy and oversized, so you can fit two hotdogs in one bun. I guess you have different taste than the rest of the tri-state area!
 
If you believe Jerseyans agree on where to get the best hot dog, you aren't from Jersey.
 
This place is 100% overrated, The place is HORRIBLE, the people there have NASTY attitudes, and the food is not even that good. THERE ARE ALWAYS NASTY BUGS ON THE TRAYS!! I live 5 minutes from the place and pass by it always, i NEVER stop by because of their NASTY service and how DIRTY it is in there. One time i ordered a Hot dog and Fries, and when the the guy who i ordered my food from put my tray on the table there was A BUG crawling all over it. I asked the guy what that was, he just dusted it off and didnt even give me another tray. I just WALKED RIGHT OUT OF THE DOOR. People that work there HAVE NASTY ATTITUDES like they HATE their lives, DONT TAKE IT OUT ON THE CUSTOMERS!!, And PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE NASTY BUGS!! the place is FILTHY!
 
i have to disagree with the bug man. we stopped in last sunday with a group of eight. the staff was very pleasant, we got our orders quickly, the dining room was very clean and the trays were clean. i live 75 miles away and i always make it a point to stop for a couple of dogs. oh, by the way, maybe the bugs fell off of your clothes.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?