Wednesday, February 02, 2005

a poem for joel oppenheimer

The many, mostly disorganized folders & large manila envelopes containing my writings are scattered throughout a number of unmarked boxes practically untouched since I moved last April. I was unable to locate a newspaper piece from about ten years ago celebrating poet joel oppenheimer & Groundhog Day, which was his favorite holiday. I wrote about one-hundred newspaper columns & that seemed to be the only one missing. There are also hundreds of unpublished &/or unfinished &/or forgotten poems in those boxes; many put aside only because they weren't what I was trying to do - or trying to be - at the time I made them. Here's one joel would've liked:

GROUNDHOG DAY


again
&
again
the nose
catches snow,
sniffing
for something better.

great blizzards won't
deny me
this perfect satisfaction.


Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?