Thursday, February 24, 2005

My therapist for the past five years unexpectedly announced today that she is leaving her practice at the clinic. She told me this with her usual gentleness & sensitivity. Still, I was stunned. She had started a private practice & cut back her clinic hours to two long days, but I don't believe she was eager to leave altogether; she just doesn't have the time. We've been through much together. Right now, I cannot follow her out as a private client, her central Jersey office is not accessible.

My relationship with E.K. is one of the three most important I've had with women outside of family, those other two preceded her, & in all three it was the woman who ended it. But this is different, although I don't know if this ending includes loss & liberation, or only loss. I have to think about it.

(In fact, I've never liked doing therapy through the clinic; it's an uncomfortable place & not conducive to the kind of deep, relaxed free associating both she & I would have preferred as the staple of our sessions together.)

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?