Saturday, December 04, 2004

Have to be especially careful this time of year about my general outlook. Negotiating the period from my birthday to the New Year has always posed a challenge - a year older, diminishing daylight, the inevitable anti-climax of the "Holidays." It's a difficult passage for many people.

I miss working at Pearl Arts & Crafts in Woodbridge this time of year. I mean the way the store was before it changed owners & became understocked & understaffed. Business pickedup after Thanksgiving & I'd sell a lot of books. The "girls" in the craft dept always got into decorating their area. Many of of the workers were high school & college students, I enjoyed being around these artistic adolescents. There were, of course, the annoying musical ornaments & lights on display, & the tediously repetitive playlist of holiday music broadcasting out of the ceiling speakers. There was a special camraderie among those of us who worked Saturday nights; we breathed a collective sigh of relief when the manager & owner left the store sometime between six & seven. A sizable percentage of the younger employees smoked up during supper break on Saturdays. I never got high at work. But those evenings during December featured an extra amount of general silliness. The only drag was getting out of the parking lot after work, holiday traffic was near gridlock on that stretch of Route One. By the time Christmas actually arrived I was pretty much holiday'd out & it didn't really matter what happened on Christmas Day. I always had modest but cool presents to give friends & family. I'd made it from from November to year's end, & the sun seemed to shine a bit brighter & stay in the sky longer on January 2nd,
Add YOUR comments here

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?