Thursday, October 21, 2004

One very good aspect of the approach of winter & end of daylight savings time is that I can stop trying to accomodate or resign myself to my current apartment & begin to seriously consider how I can get myself out of here at the end of winter.

The thought of moving again is daunting, but it has to happen. Even if I must stay in Elizabeth, I won't stay here; I'll go up around the corner where the neighborhood becomes Elmora. This apartment is completely wrong for me inside & out. The problems are chronic & cannot be fixed, & are so serious that I will put my belongings into storage on April First if I have to wait a month to get into another place. So over the next five months I need to sell or unload a large percentage of my remaining records & books. Wherever I land, I do intend to "start over." A macrame piece is the only art on the walls. The CDs are shelved, but just a few art, poetry & reference books are unpacked. Records, except for dozen or so set aside for a radio show, are in the closet. Everything else is pretty much as it was moved in here, in boxes in the extra room. For me, this is really a downscale efficiency hotel room with storage; I thought it would be better than turned out - which is it if you've moved here from Africa, Jamaica, or the east side of the railroad in Elizabeth. But I came here from a familiar town where I regularly walked or rode my bike to Dunkin' Donuts after 10 pm - & knew every bump & bad crack & steep curb on the sidewalks I used, & didn't require more than moderate city street smarts to avoid the few psychopaths.

Talking with Dr. K today about why I wouldn't move down the shore. First, the incidental expenses are too high - just looking for a place, arranging the lease & moving if I found one. Second, I don't want to put that much distance between me & Dr. K just yet. Third reason we didn't discuss, I'm hardly committed to staying in Jersey for the rest of my life. There's the flat, sandy, marshy Delmarva Peninsula to the south, & Virginia & North Carolina. I love tide water areas.

Christina Applegate on Leno; Dustin Hoffman on Letterman; James Carville on Leno; Elvis Costello drop kicked a Bush bobblehead doll into Kimmel's udience, & his superb keyboard player had a classic Vox organ ("The Imposters" sure sound & look like "The Attractions").
Add YOUR comments here

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?