Thursday, July 01, 2004

Stopped in the new Michelino's restaurant/cafe, which opened in the old Elizabeth Jersey Central train station today. I'd never been in that building. Work was progressing slowly for a couple of years. Michelino's has perhaps the best all around pizzerias in the area, with brick ovens, & they added a breakfast menu. The restaurant had to fit itself within the historical renovation of the station, & it worked out pretty good. It's obviously an old train station, the wall benches & original brickwork are there. Of course, a ladder climbing up into the clock tower. Had an excellent iced latte.

Earlier, I walked from Trinitas Clinic on East Jersey St. to the train station, went to Rahway & did some errands, two miles hiking in pretty warm weather, so I was looking forward to an iced coffee at the dunkin donuts on St. Georges. I got in line behind a group of affable Chinese people all ordering iced coffees. While I was waiting patiently, a middle-aged woman came in & eased herself up to the counter next to the Chinese folks. I thought, she isn't really doing that, cutting ahead of me, is she? But she was. When the counterperson said, "Next," she started to order. I loudly said, "Hey, I was standing in line here for five minutes before you walked in!" She kept trying to order & I started asking for a medium iced coffee cream no sugar. I won. I was not be denied. Took my coffee, didn't even look at her, & sat down at one of the little tables by the Chinese. Later, walking back from a nearby Walgreen's, I passed two of the Chinese people & a lady smiled & said, with a heavy accent, "I see you before, in Dunkin' Donuts."

Homestead.com just notified me of my annual billing for website services. This payment was at the crux of my decisions in 2003. Through Homestead I maintain boardwalk, rixfreeform, wesleylake, stuttering911, balancingbeam, murderismymusic, plus four other inactive & reserved sites. Of these, only the Bob Rixon's Boardwalk & DJ Rix sites are on-going creative projects, three are collections of poetry. Only the DJRix site gets much traffic. Last year, I stalled paying until Homestead froze my account & closed access to my sites. When they set the delete date, I paid. The payment left me short on rent. It was a crucial & important choice, & a good call. I'd already moved or rebuilt several of those websites when Juno ended its free Homestead-based webpage service a number of years ago. Homestead was ridiculously cheap at the time, & is still a bargain if one doesn't mind a domain name ending with .Homestead.com. Although I'm a getting more than I pay for, apparently "grandfathered" in when they tightened their services. Anyway, I decided that no matter what happened to me, where I had to live or even if I were homeless, those websites were staying put. I was not moving them too, to some free service with the explosions of popup screens & banners that I almost invariably bail out of before I get to the actual page I want to see. Boardwalk's layered collage front page is so dependent upon Homestead's page builder it'd be the devil to change anything on it. I was going keep my home on the internet.

Add YOUR comments here

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?