Wednesday, June 30, 2004

News stories about Internet Explorer vulnerabilities have been so alarming that I switched to Mozilla Foxfire for about 90% of web use. Foxfire is past Beta stage but not in full official release form. It resembles IE in appearance but behaves more like Netscape Explorer - slower to load, some problems with java, & a less convenient bookmark system. But it's safe & works well enough, & Mozilla's still finding & fixing some bugs. I've used Netscape Composer for years for simple page-building. The evil minds at Microsoft can never stay a step of ahead of the evil minds not working for Gates.

Very angry monday. I did a WFMU filling last Wednesday 2-6am, had arranged to cover Kenny G this afternoon, & accepted a fillin for old friend Irene Monday 3-6 when several of her other usual suspects couldn't take it. Three fill ins in a week is a unique situation for me. I don't solicit them, did only 12 all of last year. But here there were very different kinds of programs, & I am perhaps uniquely qualfied to cover them all without stretching. The overnight was a "pure" Bob Rixon program. I know Irene's style & it's easy to shade my tastes into her's; in a way I may even be trying to please her husband, writer Peter Keepnews, as well; that show got excellent listener responses. Kenny G's "Anal Magic" is the most radical show on WFMU. Kenny likes me to fill in for him because I do the kind of show Kenny might do if he were forced at gunpoint to be conventional. I devoted one of his fill-ins to playing the complete Escalator Over the Hill. I've aired Bruckner, Mahler, Satie & Ives during his shows, all composers Kenny digs.

Well, on Monday, before Irene's show, without a howdy do or thank you or an I'm sorry the Program Director rudely yanks the Kenny G fill in because I'm on-the-air too much within one week. Now, I'm a 23 year veteran of WFMU who in some small way helped create the station one hears today, & I'm also a volunteer, & as I said, this was a unique situation. I had to rearrange my own schedule some. Of course, I remember doing double shifts because of sickouts, staying on an extra hour when bad weather or traffic delayed a DJ, sitting in a darkened studio during power failures, & accepting fill ins on a few hours notice & driving up to East Orange. It was pretty shabby treatment I received yesterday, & it felt punitive because the P/D needn't have wasted time finding a replacement, which he failed to do anyway. A simple, "in the future" would have sufficed.

Today I was going to play the Brecht/Weil Mahoganny songspiel they created together prior to Three Penny Opera, a 1970s recording without Lotte Lenya I've been saving for his program. Kenny was excited by that. Also going to play some 1920s Honegger & Antheil compositions, Federico Garcia Lorca songs, Ives' 4th of July, perhaps some selections from Messiaen's Quartet for the End of the World, & a recording of a British Orchestra rehearsing a Beethoven Symphony. It would've been a splendid show, a love it or hate it exercise in free form.

Add YOUR comments here

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?