Tuesday, May 18, 2004

I can't write more specifically about the rehab program I belong to, Bridgeway House. There are always issues of confidentiality & privacy, & when other members there open up & tell me about their lives, it's usually because I've earned their trust. I also hear some very interesting stories in groups. It's not an intense atmosphere like some group therapy, where people can become emotionally naked, & do so only because there are no leaks. I've quit groups for that reason, because of leaks. Bridgeway can be gossipy within the program. But when I meet members on the outside, we rarely discuss other people we know there.

There are all levels of functioning, intelligence & education among the members. For some it's basically a day program, a place to be five days every week. But most members look toward improvement in their lives, & a life without Bridgeway (although alumni are always welcome, as guests or if there's a problem one wants to air). I'm one of a handful of members with a college education, & the staff there expects more from us in the way of participation & "leadership." I have a lot respect for members have gotten through substance abuse problems. One has to be "clean" to participate. Quite a few members go to trade school or college after they join Bridgeway.

The Bridgeway House program has several components; i I'm in the "Adult Day Program," which has its own building. The Director of the program is Dave D'Antonio. A familiar surname to longtime WFMU listeners; Dave is the younger brother of Lou "The Duck" D'Antonio. If you know Lou, & knew a D'Antonio was at Bridgeway, you'd easily pick Dave out. Dave has the same liberal, down-to-earth spirit as Lou, who taught for years at a pretty tough middle school in East Orange. & there's some pretty tough members at Bridgeway House.

I quit Bridgeway prematurely the first time I was in the program, four years ago. I felt good. But I'd set too many goals, expected too much, & didn't connect with the other members. In fact, one of the problems I have is my unwillingness to clearly define what i want to do there. But this time I committed myself to being in the program for a full year, & expect that goals will emerge over the coming months as I discover which activities I like doing. I am switching my days around to pick up a regular art class; maybe I can learn how to draw with a real teacher.
Add YOUR comments here

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?