Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Fifteen minutes of fame today as a photographer, three pieces featured in the Bridgeway House annual art show at Kean University gallery. One the pieces, a shot of Rahway train station at sunset, was featured on the show poster. Didn't expect to be one of the "headliners" & didn't even want to. I don't even take the regularly scheduled art classes at Bridgeway - which happen to be taught by a guy I worked with for a couple of years at Pearl Arts & Crafts - we didn't hide that former association & nobody cared so far as I could tell. About fifty or sixty people showed at the opening, I got a lot of praise, there were refreshments, I put on a tie & wore black shoes for the occasion. I had the only photos in the show - the first ones I think in the six years it's been held, so maybe that will encourage others to submit pix. Anyway, I'm pretty modest about my photos & do call them "snaps" & I take pictures in much the same spirit that some poets write haiku - as exercises in observing & isolating visual images that would appear to be simple - not straining for metaphor. I wonder if going digital - inevitable - is going to "advance" my art or just push me into making snap decisions not about what to shoot, which is fun, but what to delete immediately. An undeveloped roll of film is a lovely mystery. There must be some advantage film has over digital.

Hadn't been on Kean campus in many years, the grounds have really been improved with landscaping, topiary, small flower gardens, even a fountain. The campus was looking shabby back in the mid-90s when my girlfriend then, Megan Rathbun, was a BFA student. Haven't heard from or seen Megan since 1997. My ex's never stayed in touch with me. But they also got married before too long, which means I didn't ruin love for them. Maybe I was a sort of unofficial first husband.

Jersey is having lousy summer weather in May - warm, humid days, late afternoon clouds with "scattered thunderstorms" that might or might not occur.

Add YOUR comments here

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?