Friday, April 30, 2004

Went to WFMU Record Fair in New York City at the Metropilitan Pavilion on 18th Street. I work there sunday so tonight was for browsing & socializing. It's like visiting a museum of vinyl - I admire & hold rare near mint soundtracks costing from $30 to $70 & whisper to them, "Yesss, i may have you someday, but NOT at THIS price!. Did get one for $5, The Egyptian, bad Fifties epic but rare collaboration between two great film composers, Alfred Newman & Bernard Herrmann, not on my "A" list, still worth having at the price - found it misfiled in a bargain jazz box. The WFMU Fair, held twice a year, is considered one of the best in the world by collectors & dealers. Of course the NYC Male Record Geeks crowd is there in full force, but the Fair attracts a much wider range of customers, with plenty of $$ to spend. I've never been a collector of "rare" vinyl. It is interesting to see how much many of my records would have been worth had I never handled or played them. I gave my records heavy use at home & on the radio, couldn't be especially concerned with the condition of the jackets, or avoid putting a scratch or ding in some of them.
Add YOUR comments here

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?