Friday, April 23, 2004

FRIDAY NOTES; Slowly unloaded second trip's stuff this evening, heavy book boxes, but last thing in was large lightweight box of Xmas decorations.

Could have three trips I suppose, but hauling out, transporting & carrying 12 cartons of records up here earlier, one right after another, was exhausting. Until two weeks ago there were about 40 cartons. Since the size of my collection was in equilibrium between 1990 & 2004, I don't understand why the two previous moves in that time didn't traumatize me, even with helpers. If you try to talk about moving records with other people who have thousands of them, they become anxious. Records seem to be worse than books, although books are as big a pain in the ass. A woman came out of the building as I was stacking the recordsin lobby prior to carrying them upstairs, & she thought it was a big collection. Said she had a lot, mentioned Beatles, which surprised me given she was black, I think of Fab 4 as very whitebread 'cept when Aretha covered them. As I moved a metal shelf out of the closet, a few loose records fell to the floor - must have been stacked on top - among them was a mono, original 3-D Their Satanic Majesty's Request, one of my most valued record covers, which I'm framing.

Still a lot of stuff on Irving. Hoping it isn't as bad as it looks; all the shelving is gone & closets emptied, so there's a jumble of half-filled boxes & crates, odds & ends, things being thrown out, the flotsam & jetsam that comes out of the corners & cracks in the wake of moving, all on the floor. Picked up an inexpensive hand truck, which helps a bit taking boxes from apartment to car, then car to stairs, but using it to haul two boxes at a time UP the stairs is counter productive, lift, thump, lift, thump... & a lower back killer.

Driving the Jotz '84 Olds wagon is the highlight of the day. I leave the radio tuned to WNYC, rarely remember to listen at home, some good interviews during the day & David Garland's great music show in the evening. Yesterday he played Mahler's Das Lied von Erde in celebration of Earth Day, then Alex North's cool music from Cheyenne Autumn, a movie I happened to watch last week dubbed into Spanish. Following all the dialogue hardly seemed necessary. I've sometimes thought of myself as the bargain bin David Garland - scratchy records & butchering foreign words. I looked at David a little more closely a couple of years ago when I wanted my occasional radio shows to express the major shift toward classical music in my personal tastes - which brought me closer to the programs I was doing on WFMU 20 years ago. I'm a little more conscientious about pronounciations, but please slap me if I ever start sounding like those announcers on WQXR.
Add YOUR comments here

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?