Tuesday, March 30, 2004

I'll still be living in a studio apartment, which is all I really require, but it will be sparsely furnished, & my cluttered office/workspace will be in another room, across the hall.

The only "furnishings" I anticipate getting are an inexpensive imitation persian rug, several small houseplants, some stackable plastic record crates, & old-fashioned spring=loaded "black out" window shades. Edie E. said she would help me hang curtains. What is it with women & curtains? Curtains are just more dust & smoke collectors I'll have to wash. Must admit I've always fancied beaded doorway curtains, tho. Dragged the brown dresser to curb early evening, covered it with some plastic sheeting against the drizzle, it was gone within an hour. That's good. The recliner chair was taken when it went out. The dresser was with me at least 25 years, maybe more. Christine D's aquarium was on it for awhile. & a small lamp that broke a few years ago. & a dual radio alarm clock I still have but stopped using when the bed went. Except for that, some metal shelving, a desk top & kitchen things, all the domestic items from that period will be gone after this move. I had considered dropping the dresser in front of C's house, since she got it from someone in her family, to give her a zen moment while her mind puzzled it out.

But we've been in close proximity all along, passing each other on the street, in the post office, even sitting a few feet apart in the same cafe, without saying a word more than "hello" since 1991. Is that a major peculiarity? More than that, it's bizarre. I would enjoy chatting with nearly all of my old lovers at this point, & I'm genuinely concerned about how one in particular is doing. But I can say that I think Christine has become a strange person (as well as a diminished artist). She makes me seem like an extrovert. & her physical look is frozen in time - she reminds me of Mary of Peter, Paul &, in the sense of having a fixed appearance, except that Mary added a lot of weight, Christine only a little. I play on the fact that I look goofier with each passing year, my most recent "officlal" photograph taken last summer at Seaside Heights by Jim Coleman.

Beautiful photo below is of two Emerson College students reacting to Mass legislature vote on gay marriage/civil unions, a result that pleased no one. It pleases me that kids can still be so idealistic & passionate & vulnerable about important issues. More about that some other time.
Add YOUR comments here



<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?