Sunday, March 28, 2004

Finally, Channel 7 shows a good late Saturday night movie: Rebel Rousers, a 1969 biker flick with Cameron Mitchell, Diane Ladd, Bruce Dern, Jack Nicholson, Harry Dean Stanton, & the comedy relief of a fat sweaty chicano police deputy. The players seem to be improvising the dialogue. Dern is Eddie Haskell grown up. Jack is especially perverse. They're all a little too clean cut to pass as Hell's Angels. Even the Harleys look rented. The beach looks remarkably like the one frequented by Frankie & Annette. The soundtrack music leans heavily on outdated jazzy fifties 77 Sunset Strip style, plus some circa '63 surf instrumental stuff. . After Cameron Mitchell gets the shit kicked out of him, the tuff boys play motorcycle jousts to decide who gets to rape a pregnant Cheryl Ladd. It's a really great terrible movie

The new Rahway library opened up last week. Cafe. river view. Perfectly fucked up timing. It's absurd to take it personally, still I'm a Scorpio, so I felt like I'd gotten the finger & a collective "nyah nyah suckface" from the mayor, council, chamber of commerce & my landlord, with a parting, "& don't slam the door on your way out, & be sure to vote straight ticket in 2004, ya dumbass naive poet." I think in the future I might have to refer to Rahway in writing & on radio like Clinton did to Monica, as "That town." After 13 years I have only made acquaintances here. I've realized my local "community" in Jersey is WFMU = a secret cult west of the Hackensack River - & it will be my community until I land in one of the places I really want to live; where I imagine - better than that - know what I'll be seeing & doing each day; & the affection I already feel for the character of these places; & how it is literally impossible for those towns to wreck their fundamental appeal. I find this sort of quality in the letters & poems Bruce Longstreet sends from California - that he's not in a perfect place, but it's worth the sacrifices he makes to be there. Twisting Twain, nothing helps ham & eggs like scenery.

1. Don't do anything for free on behalf of people who are getting rich. 2. Babbitt is alive & well. 3. Poets shouldn't be "yellow dog" Democrats for political machines; we gotta stay loose enough to support the good causes when & where they are fought, win or lose. I took a calculated political cop-out not long after I moved into "that town" for which I have never fully forgiven myself. I will not do something like that again.

I picked UConn & Duke for Final Four. So did 90% of everyone else. That was the no brainer half. Big East was less plucky than expected. A tip of the hat to Xavier, they nearly won without Myles in the game at the end. At least I didn't go with Stanford, Gonzaga, Kentucky, St. Joe's. & Rutgers in the NIT Final Four - plenty respectable.

Add YOUR comments here

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?