Saturday, March 20, 2004

Final
Rutgers - - 69
Chattanooga - - 74


Only loyalty kept me from picking the Lady Mocs on my bracket sheet. UT at Chattanooga has the nation's longest winning streak, & the injury-hobbled, higher-seeded Lady Knights were the white jersey "home" team playing on the Mocs' home court, a very unfair situation. The NCAA selection committee should not have leveled the playing field in such a blatant way for a lower-seeded team. Would Rutgers have lost this game in any other venue? I doubt it. But the Lady Knights have no bench depth & it always comes down to what kind of game Cappie Poindexter has, & she was in foul trouble by early in the second half. I believed that IF they survived this game, they would scare the bejeezuz out of Vanderbilt on Monday, with Cappie putting on a display worthy of Bill Bradley. They've had an erratic year - didn't get respect in the polls despite upsetting some Top 25 teams (which never seemed to hurt the ranked team's position or help Rutgers', go figure), lost some they oughta won. That kind of year. & it was injuries that made it so. They're still a fine team & Cappie's the best.

Monmouth - 52
Mississippi State 85

I didn't think it would be this big a blowout, expected Monmouth could keep it to about 20. - not an unrealistic hope. The difference is that I figured the Hawks to stay with the Bulldogs all the way to halftime, but they stumbled a few minutes short & so went to locker room down 12 points instead of 4 or 6. Mississippi made quick work of the Jersey Shore Boys early in the second half. Great year nonetheless. Nearly beat Rutgers at the RAC, a game they deserved to win.

Final
Nevada (10) 91
Gonzaga (2) 72

I never believe in Gonzaga, this or any year. Had 'em losing to Boston College next week. So they jived even me into over-rating them. Fool me once, shame on you, selection committee.

Alabama 70
Stanford 67

Here's another over-rated team that got bounced a week before I predicted Syracuse would do it. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Final Four: Duke, UConn, Boston College, Pittsburgh. & I'm not being Big East sentimental. BC over Kentucky the only pick I consider a longshot. On my sheet It's BC & Kansas, not the Wildcats, in the Regional. Tournament Champ: Duke.

Add YOUR comments here

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?