Friday, March 05, 2004

Bumpy week, not just for finding out I have to move, but because I wasn't able to push on to the next step. I don't actually get my rent assistance voucher until next Thursday. So all I could do was look at classifieds to see what's generally available. & even so, I don't know if I'll have a choice, or have to take what i can get, or find nothing at all, given the short time I have. It would be nice to avoid ending up in a section 8 families type building - these are easily identifiable as poorly maintained garden apartments emitting loud music. My oresent abode was one of those before the current owner bought it. Then, there's the challenge of actually moving from one place to another, which I need not to worry about yet.

Yet, I find myself making choices. Time to get rid of the brown dresser, which goes back decades to years with Christine & which I never liked.; & the lazy boy chair that just collects clothes; & maybe the metal desk - or keep only the top. Bring old-fashioned kitchen table given me by Anne & Justin; futon (got rid of bed over a year ago - lumpy mattress & too many memories); the filing cabinets; a few metal shelf units & maybe the heavy duty end table I found on the curb last year - ugly but serves a purpose. & hope this move doesn't kill the ancient fridge. & donate at least 2/3rds of record collection to WFMU. & keep the books.

I've been a record collector since the Sixties; but the vast majority of the vinyl is not rare, or valuable, or of much interest to me, or necessary for radio. Many many cutouts & flea market purchases. I have a few worthy collectables; & assortments from genres that do amuse me - soundtracks, organ music, album jacket art. & a core collection of classical, jazz & soul not available on CD. But even if my copy of Miles Davis' "Porgy & Bess" LP is near mint, it's also in the WFMU CD library. & it's worth maybe $15 to collector - but then it's merely "inventory," not an item to be treasured. About the only times I play any of my records are on radio shows. & at this point, I know which ones I'm likely to reach for in the future - that core collection.

On the other hands, my books truly are "rare" even if not valuable (many are worth quite a bit to the right buyer), & I do treasure them - especially the poetry & art books, & I'd feel good about putting the ones I can do without up for sale on eBay.

If I'm meant to stay in Rahway, something will turn up here, & the city may then actually become my home, at last - a transformation symbolized by joining the Friends of the Library & Rahway Arts Guild.

Add YOUR comments here

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?