Friday, February 06, 2004

I could happily spend the rest of my life setting my poems to music, if I had the space & peace. Had to accept that no composer would do it for me. The Balancing Beam is essentially a song cycle, & a rather traditional type that. Many, many other poems are lyrical. & I have pieces in manuscript that are as much musical compositions - by how they were made - as any other art. That's where I started out, so long ago, in the Sixties. The last group of songs I wrote was 1978, & the last time I composed music in earnest was about 12 years ago.

Dream

On a fair day
my mother met me
halfway between her home & mine,
on the street behind the high school.
As I accepted Her sloppy kisses, she said,
"I sent you money for your rent."

We used to be indifferent or enraged
whenever we saw each other.

Mom invited me for dinner
tomorrow, it's Thanksgiving,
I forgot.
"I don't think my sister
wants to see me," I said.
"Come late, Jean's leaving early.
There's a woman who wants to meet you,
she's been watching you,
but you never noticed her."

Waking, I thought, Oh great,
I hope she's not dead, too.


***

It's about time I figured out how to organize the archives of this Blog.


Add YOUR comments here

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?