Monday, October 20, 2003

A lovely autumn day again. Last Thursday morning, as I locked Funky the Bike at the Rahway train, the woman from New Egypt setting up the Farmer John's Jersey Produce stand gave me an apple. With Exchange Place PATH station open again, I have the pleasure of riding up the long escalator - at the top - NYC skyline across the Hudson. I mean no offense to anyone who lost loved ones, but I don't miss the Twin Towers. I never liked them; always thought them cold & even rather monstrous structures, dwarfing human activity; disliked the shadows they cast. Lit up at night, their "beauty" was more comparable to the refineries of Arthur Kill than to the Empire State & Chrysler skyscrapers. The towers weren't the pyramids, weren't built by slaves, but they represented an equally oppressive pantheon of false gods.

Opened last week's WFMU program (fill-in for Fabio's "Strength Through Failure" show) with first movement of Beethoven's 4th Symphony, then a live Jefferson Airplane cut, seemed to me a very Sixties thing, eerie feeling that I wasn't the first WFMU DJ to do it.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?