Sunday, August 31, 2003

This may well be the nicest day of the summer - tho stuck at the end &
in the middle of humidity, showers, overcasts, heat.  A day to take
a ride on Funky the Bike & sip coffee outside Dunkin' Donuts while watching
women arriving & leaving.  Which I'll probably do again later at
dusk. At least there are no strong hints of autumn, not the typical end-of-August
browns & grays.  

A delightful little wild grass sprouted - probably from bird seed - & grew to maturity from a crack in a windowsill, irrigated by the dripping air-conditioner for the apartment above me. Undistinctive at first, a week or so ago it pushed up a delicate center stem, which grew hair-thin branches, each with a tiny seed or grain at the end. It brings to mind rice, wheat, corn, all of which it resembles in some part. Some far distant ancestors of ours also observed a spirit-thing like this one, perhaps snacking on a handful. A few interesting weeds also grew in my outdoor pots, different from past years.


I may not own a small car by the end of 2004, but at least I'll be able to rent one from time to time. I'll also have a smaller, lighter bike; Otto Klemperer's Beethoven symphony cycle; a working printer (I can create poem-cards again); a new, smaller edition of Boardwalk sans extra poems but with a color cover; & a bridge! & imagine flash versions of some poems! Too much, I guess, to hope for girlfriend. I'll certainly never pray for one. Just how this will all come about is still a mystery. My tactics are debatable, but the longer-term strategy is sound.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?